Friday, June 29, 2012

Content Knowledge (Course II)


Content Knowledge (Course II)
Session One Blog

  1. Saint Augustine once said, “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” Growing up in a small town in California, I always knew I loved to read, but it wasn’t until I got to travel that I understood why. Books have always been my salvation. As a child I read about a lanky animal that convinced me green eggs might not be that bad. As a young adult, whose parents were separating, I became fascinated with the different family structures each novel presented. In college, I immersed myself in the knowledge and insight my professors had on the novels we covered. But it wasn’t until I got to travel to Spain that the reason for my love of literature became clear. The first few nights in Spain were exhilarating and petrifying. I didn’t know the culture or the layout of the city. In addition, the language that I thought I knew from my small classroom at SMC didn’t resemble the mash of words and thick accent the locals were throwing at me. I felt alone. I felt like I didn’t belong. That feeling of dread quickly took a back seat to the feeling of excitement. Those feeling of isolation were because no one I had ever known got to be where I was. I was no longer reading about characters from a far off land; I was living the story. I was somewhere different. After that realization I focused on filling every minute of my trip with getting to know this different way of life. I talked to locals (with a lot of basic words and hand gestures) and I began to see a whole new existence. This excitement for meeting new people and seeing new places has always been the reason I love literature. The world is too vast to simply sit back and read my one page over and over again.  

  2.  Being a good teacher is difficult. According to Ball’s “The Subject Matter Preparation of Teachers” most teachers leave the role of student to become the teacher with inadequate subject matter knowledge. Ball states “teachers are themselves products of elementary and secondary schools in which, research has shown, pupils rarely develop deep understanding of the subject matter they encounter, we should not be surprised by teachers’ inadequate subject matter preparation” (20). Overall, our class discussion seemed to agree with Ball’s claims. We need to teach our students (not only with passion and a vast knowledge of pedagogy) correct information. We need to be or become experts in our fields. I feel that most of us agree with this concept because we have all elected to further our own education. We are all enrolled in a program that challenges us to study subject matter not just pedagogy. I want to show this paper to my administration. I wish that we could spend our staff development days expanding our subject matter knowledge. That would be a good use of time.  

3. I am truly excited about my question. I want to explore how to teach plays in an English classroom. I want to understand how to take a performing art and translate it into the English curriculum. There is a vast amount of information regarding Drama teachers teaching plays in high school. What I am currently looking for is research that shows the benefits of combining some of these techniques in the English classroom. Like I wrote before, I look forward to interviewing local actors. I want to ask them about their craft and get some ideas and techniques I can share with my students.  My focus for this program is going to be how I can successfully bring plays to life in my classroom.

Research:
  • Research in Drama Education: The Journal of Applied Theatre and Performance (Routledge 2012)
  • Miracles are Happening: Beyond the Rhetoric of Transformation in the Western Traditions of Drama Education (University of Warwick 2004)
  • Berkeley Repertory
  • Aurora Theater
  • Cal Shakes
  • Lesher Center for the Arts
  • Eugene O’Neill House

     4. “Acted drama requires surrender of one's self, sympathetic absorption in the play as it develops” George P. Baker


4 comments:

  1. Sara-

    I can relate to your outside-school experience. I felt like my outside school experience was similar to yours, because I also lived abroad and learned a lot outside of my comfort zone.

    Sometimes being somewhere else can be frightening, but it can challenge your beliefs which exercises your mind. I wish I could encourage everyone to experience this as a child. I think we would have more motivated learners in every classroom.

    I agree with you on the Ball article. There is a part of each student that is still part elementary and part secondary school that did not develop deeper understand and we work to develop out subject content knowledge as teachers. I also wish that staff could collaborate on subject knowledge in a professional setting (it may narrow the gap between novice and expert teachers, as well as new and outdated information).

    I would be interested in the findings of your capstone project. I don't know if I could use a play for a history or social studies project, but I would be open to the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristina,
    Thank you for your response. Where did you live abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky to had the chance to experience the close knit learning community at SMC and that opportunity to learn abroad. I have never been abroad, unfortunately, but I can only imagine the life lessons one can learn from immersing themselves in a new culture.

    When we were dicussing the Ball article, I kept thinking about teaching plays and my knowledge of theater. I understand the subject matter of the plays I teach, but I would love to be more well versed in plays themselves. I really look forward to seeing the outcome of your research.

    I LOVE your topic! I teach two plays in 10th grade and I am always working to try and uphold the authenticity of the story and the work as a play, all the while analyzing it with an English eye. I have a number of techniques that I use when teaching plays that I would love to share with you. You students are so lucky that you care so much about keeping the integrity of the plays you teach and keeping them engaged as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I love this entry! Thank you for sharing your passion for books and translating that passion into your love for adventure. Reading is so powerful and as an elementary teacher, I am passionate about getting my students enthusiastic about reading and writing as soon as they are able to do both! Regardless of your age or the book you are reading, there is always a powerful connection that can be made between the reader and the stories that unfold through the pages in the book.

    I look forward to hearing more about your research. Plays are amazing and your students will benefit greatly from being able to carry out a performance, enacting a famous piece of literature. This process will help your students not only to know the works they read better, but it will give them an opportunity to be creative and collaborative, working as a team to deliver an authentic play!

    ReplyDelete